Thursday 11 June 2015

Furniture Makeover!

For a while now I have been in two minds whether or not to paint some wooden furniture. I have been looking at Pinterest and Instagram as a source of inspiration and often wondered if it really is that simple to give furniture a new lease of life.

The bookcase I wanted to paint

I had three particular items in mind. First one was a huge mirror hanging on the wall in the hallway. I loved the size of the mirror but I wasn't keen on the orange pine frame. Next was my dining room table and chairs. I couldn't help but think they may look nicer painted cream. The final item was a bookcase I found and bought in an antique shop for just £10. Like the mirror, this was also orange pine. I have nothing against orange pine but it didn't match with the rest of my light pine furniture. 

I decided to go for it! I bought some runs of Rust-Oleum chalk paint in white and cream. I wanted to paint the mirror white to match the walls in the hallway. I began with the mirror. 

I used masking tape to protect the mirror edges

As It was raining, my husband carried the mirror (it's very heavy!) into the garage for me and I began the makeover. I used masking tape to protect the mirror edges as I painted the frame. I cleaned the frame with sugar soap before painting. I applied two coats of paint before lightly sanding it and then finished it with the wax. I must admit I was pretty surprised at how easy and quick the whole process was! Why had I not done this before?! 


The finished mirror hanging in the hallway

I couldn't wait to get started on the table and chairs. I decided to paint the chairs and table legs cream but keep the table top pine. I had actually seen a table like this that I wanted to save up for! Again I was very happy with the results. 

My 'new' table and chairs

I painted the bookcase cream too and once again it surprised me how quick it was to paint the item. 

The bookcase afterwards

I am thrilled with the results! I certaintly have caught the painting bug. Next on my list is my dresser. Watch this space! 

Have you given furniture a new lease of life with chalk paint? I would love to see pictures if you have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment